Thursday, November 24, 2011

Buttermilk Corn Muffins with Cranberry Swirl

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all had a great feast today! I am so thankful for my wonderful family, friends, and everything that Davey and I have. I am also very thankful for all my blog readers and fans. Without you I would have no one to write for!

The morning started off with a great workout and then a yummy bowl of oatmeal. The hubby and I then headed off to my grandparents' house. Despite having a broken leg, my grandma prepared Thanksgiving dinner. It was amazingly delicious! Turkey, stuffing, yams, creamed peas, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. Yum yum yum!

I ate a little of each thing and felt full when my plate was cleared (but not stuffed). I tried the best I could to not over-do it this year and I feel that I succeeded at that.

To go with our wonderful meal, I made the mashed potatoes along with some tasty corn muffins. I found these muffins while looking around on Lindsey's awesome blog! Once I saw them I knew that they would be the perfect addition to our Thanksgiving feast!


Buttermilk Corn Muffins with Cranberry Swirl
(adapted from Gingerbread Bagels)





INGREDIENTS:


1/2 cup unsalted butter; at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs; at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk; at room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cranberry sauce (I used the exact kind that Lindsey used in her recipe. I drove all the way across town to a Trader Joe's just to buy this cranberry sauce. You can use whatever kind you want, but this one was really yummy!!!!)


DIRECTIONS:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees

-Line a muffin pan with muffin liners; set aside

-Melt the butter in a microwavable bowl

-Quickly add in sugar and mix to combine

-Add in the eggs and mix to combine

-Pour in the buttermilk and mix to combine

-Add the corn meal, flour, baking soda, and salt

-Mix to combine everything together, but be careful as to not over mix the batter

-Using a cookie dough scooper, place one scoop into muffin liner to cover the bottom

-For each muffin, place two 1/4 tsp scoops of cranberry sauce and then swirl around with the tip of a sharp knife

-Place 1 1/2 scoops of batter on top of cranberry sauce

-On each muffin, place two more 1/4 scoops of cranberry sauce and swirl around with a knife

-Bake muffins for 20 minutes

-Let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack



Now enjoy them there muffins! :)

Best served warm. We put ours in the oven to warm up for about 8 minutes. They were delicious and the perfect addition to our dinner!!!

After dinner we all had a slice of my pie and then vegged out. It was great getting to spend time with my amazing family!!! I love them all so much and am so thankful that I get to see them so often (not my uncle since he lives in Arizona, but am thankful for all the times I do get to see him).

Tomorrow morning I am off to do some shopping at 5am.....and not for any Black Friday deals.....just to do some boring old grocery shopping. Dave and I are off to the desert for the rest of the weekend and we need to get our food!

Hope you all have had an amazing Thanksgiving and please take time to really think about all that you have and be thankful for it.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!!
<3 much and many thanks!!!
Amy


A Little Nosh

7 comments:

  1. Anything cornmeal is most excellent (yummy).

    So, I'm not going to do the Temecula Half in January - it's the same weekend as Carlsbad (bad timing on their part as far as getting good participation) and I'm running the full. So, I am not crazy enough to run the Temecula Half on Sat and then Carlsbad Marathon on Sunday!

    BTW, thanks for stopping my my infrequently updated blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with cornmeal! These look delicious. I've made a blueberry corn muffin - but cranberry is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chacha! Yeah, can't believe they would have it the same weekend. I am glad to know that they do it in October as well. The weather is warmer, so it makes for a better start! (I am a weiney in the cold). But good luck at the Carlsbad one! Have a blast and I can't wait to read all about it!!!!


    Mo 'Betta.....the blueberry sounds so wonderful; will have to try that next time. The cranberry was definitely for Thanksgiving, but the blueberry would almost make it "breakfasty"! Great idea! Thanks for stopping by! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'm featuring this recipe this weekend: http://www.alittlenosh.net/2011/12/weekend-spotlight-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Amy!!! I will have to check it out on your site! <3

    ReplyDelete