Saturday, August 27, 2011

Healthy Pineapple Pizza

Pizza......who doesn't love pizza??? I know it is one of my most favorite foods ever! I have been good in the past year and have only eaten MAYBE 4 slices of real pizza. It has been hard, but with Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine pizzas, I can manage the temptation. It's especially hard when I stop in at Little Caesars to get the hubby a deep dish pepperoni pizza and I can't have a slice of that deliciousness.....so I pop in a microwavable "diet" pizza and pretend it's Little Caesars (or when I am really dreaming, a slice of Stadium Pizza's pizza)!!!! 
Yes, that is a heart shaped pizza! In case you don't know, Stadium Pizza makes them for Valentine's Day and I love getting one!!!!

Mmmmm.......ok, sorry, I am awake now! My favorite pizza of all time is pepperoni and pineapple (as you can see from the above picture). A little knock-off of a Hawaiian style pizza, but I just love the pepperoni over the Canadian bacon any day. Once I went in to "diet" mode, I knew how hard it was to find a Hawaiian pizza, let alone one made with pepperoni.....so I set out to make a really good one. I am also a fan of BBQ chicken pizza.....got the pineapple, some cilantro, bbq sauce....mmmmm! Muy delicioso! 
For the pizza "crust" I used a whole wheat tortilla. Stick it in the oven at 400 degrees for 2-4 minutes, flip, and heat for another 2-4 minutes (in case I have to mention....place the tortilla on a cookie sheet.....and for ease, I like to put aluminum foil down first so you can transfer off the cookie sheet without any mess......). If you have the privilege of owning a sweet toaster oven, use that!!!!! I had one at my old job and loved how easy it was to use instead of having to heat up the oven.....and you get both sides toasted at the same time, so you don't have to flip! :D Anyway, here is the rest of the recipe....

INGREDIENTS:
(adapted from Biggest Loser Recipes)

-1 (about 8") low fat, whole wheat tortilla
-2 TBSP Barbeque Sauce (for the healthiness of it, use one that has 7 grams or less carbohydrates per    2TBSP serving) 
     *I found it is hard to find such a BBQ sauce at a normal grocery store, but did manage to snag a bottle of Stubb's BBQ sauce and like the flavor it gives the pizza.
-3 TBSP goat cheese crumbles (don't be scared to try a new kind of cheese. It is a little sour tasting, but you will love the flavor it gives this pizza. I now use goat cheese in my salads.....I love it so much!)
-3 TBSP drained diced or crushed pineapple, in juice....or you can use sliced pineapple, but then you have to chop it yourself
-1 1/2 finely chopped cilantro; more or less to taste (and I just use whole leaves of it cuz we all know how much I LOVE cilantro!!!!)
-3 TBSP chopped red onion; more or less to taste 

All the ingredients, minus the onion and pineapple......blog picture fail.... ;)



DIRECTIONS:
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees
-Place foil on cookie sheet and then place tortilla on top. Bake in oven for 2-4 minutes on each side. If bubbles form, use a spatula to press the air out
-Remove from oven and apply sauce, cheese, pineapple, onion, and cilantro. 
-Place back in oven to melt the cheese; about 2-4 more minutes
-Slice into 4 wedges, or just dig in!!!

Ta da! Finished pizza!!! This one is minus the onion though....didn't have any at the time! :(


Play around with veggie toppings if you want, but this pizza is tasty just the way it is! I may try adding some jalapenos next time I make it......mmmmmm!!!!

Have a super fabulous weekend!!!!!!
<3 Amy










No comments:

Post a Comment