Monday, March 5, 2012

Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Glaze

The other day at work one of our patients came in and brought us some lemons. When life throws you lemons what are you supposed to do? Well, since I refuse to drink my calories, making lemonade was not in my agenda. I don't like to drink my calories, but I will most certainly eat them! ;)

I knew what had to be made....LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS!!!

Of course I am going to take them to work and make everyone else eat them, besides me! ;)

One of my co-workers has a gluten intolerance and she doesn't get the chance to eat many of my goodies that I bring into the office. I decided to make these yummy treats gluten free so that she can enjoy them right along with the rest of us!!!

I have never really baked anything that was gluten free, so a little research had to be done! I found this great recipe and ran with it! ;)

Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Glaze
(adapted from Gluten Free on a Shoestring)


INGREDIENTS:


2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Zest from 1 lemon
2 TBSP poppy seeds
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
Juice of 1 lemon

3 TBSP lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar




DIRECTIONS:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees

-Grease or line a muffin tin with cupcake liners

-In a medium sized bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds, and mix to combine
*You want the lemon zest and poppy seeds to get coated with the dry ingredients so they don't get clumped together in the batter

-In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy

-Add in the eggs, sour cream, and lemon juice, and mix well after each addition

-Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat well until the all is incorporated and the batter becomes thick and "elasticy" (that is my own made up word....but you will see what I mean if you make these muffins)

Yummmm!!!!


-Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin
(Notice how I didn't say to "pour the batter...."? There is no pouring of this batter. It is thick and gooey)

-Bake for 18-24 minutes (mine only needed 18 minutes, but my oven is whacked. The original recipe says 22-24 minutes, so bake accordingly)

-Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack

Now it is time to make your glaze (this is the best part!!!! YUMMMMMM!!!!!!)

-Place the powdered sugar and the left over lemon juice (I really hope you saved those 3-4 TBSP of lemon juice.....) in a small bowl

-Mix well until there are no clumps
**Depending on how much lemon juice you used, you made need more or less powdered sugar. Keep adding and mixing until desired consistency is reached

-Pour over top warm (or cooled) muffins

Now go enjoy those yummy muffins!!!!


Hope you all have a wonderful day!!! :)

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment