Sunday, October 9, 2011

301's Recovery Cookies

Today I competed in my 4th triathlon!!!! It was so much fun! I met up with a couple of girls that I met at last year's Trek Women's Triathlon and we cheered each other on from start to end. Lanna and Courtney are such joys to be with and I was so excited to get to see them again for a "mini reunion" of the tri-girls.

After getting up at 4:40 Saturday morning to get ready for work, working for 6 1/2 hours, and then coming home and loading the motor home, Davey and I were off to Lake Cahuilla! It was about a 2 hour drive, which, of course, I fell asleep during, but finally we made it.

We got to our camp spot and started making dinner (since we were both hungry). Dinner consisted of rib eye steaks, mashed potatoes, and corn! Yuuummmmm!!!!! Of course the hubs did the grillin'!
He doesn't normally look this weird.....LOL!
Dinner was so yummy and then we spent the rest of the evening hanging out.


We decided to hit the hay around 9pm, but I could not sleep. Maybe it was due to the nap I took on the drive out there, or maybe it was because I was paranoid that my alarm wouldn't go off or I wouldn't hear it and I would miss the start of the triathlon....but whatever it was, I could NOT fall asleep. I eventually looked over at my phone to see it was 2am and I was WIDE AWAKE!!!!! Shortly after that, I eventually fell into a deep sleep and when the alarm went off at 5am, I was NOT a happy camper! I got up, put my tri-suit on, made sure all my necessities were in my tri-bag, and went to grab my breakfast of a whole wheat blueberry bagel and some Greek yogurt with fruit. This is when it dawned on me that I had put my yogurt and fruit in the freezer while the fridge got to a good temp and never took it out.........yup, it was frozen solid! Brought a whole new meaning to frozen yogurt!!!!! This morning was not starting off on the right foot. I ate my bagel and started chiseling away at my solid yogurt. I even soaked the container in hot water, but it wasn't melting quick enough. Ugh!!!! I was NOT going to allow this to be the start of my wonderful day.......I just laughed it off. I then realized that it was almost 6am and I had to get to the transition area to sign in and get my swim cap and race numbers. I was number 301!!!

I got all tagged up with my race number and age and headed into the transition site to park my bike and set up my little space. Then, ANOTHER thing dawned on me.....I had left my Camelback in the fridge of the motor home!!!!!!!! Really!?!?! I mean, really!?!?! Let me just mind you that I rode my bike from camp to the transition area.....so it didn't take too long......but since I was already all set up, I had to walk my butt BACK to camp.......a good half mile!!!!!! I am supposed to be conserving energy, not expelling it at this time. Davey's phone was off, so I couldn't even call him to bring it to me, so it had to be done.....I had to make the half mile trek back to the motor home.

So I grab my Camelback and realized that my yogurt had finished thawing out! Yay! Ok, so things are looking up now! On the walk back to my bike, I had to stop to take a couple pictures as the sun was rising up over the lake. It was gorgeous!

You can't even see the transition area from where I was.......

Once back, I met up with Lanna and Courtney and we chatted a bit before heading to the starting line. All 3 of us were in different groups. Lanna was the first of us to go, then Courtney, and then I was last. I didn't get to see my Davey before I started, but I knew he would be there to take some pictures and cheer me on!

At 7:16am, my group started the triathlon by diving heading first into the warm lake! Yes, the water was warm! :) The swim seemed longer this year than it did last year, but I was ready for it!!!! I finished the swim with ease and started to head to my bike.

Had to wring out my hair! ;)

Once to my bike, I put on my socks, shoes, shirt with race number (since I left my race belt at home!), and helmet, then headed to the biking mount area. 

The hubby always catches me at my finest......blah! LOL!

The bike course started with a slight hill, but it was all good! Gotta love using a mountain bike! ;)


The bike part is always the hardest for me since I don't get to ride my bike often and train on it. The first 8 miles were a breeze, but then it got tough......but I kept on peddling on and finally made it to dismount area!

I am the biker in the back

There I go!!!

Next came the run. I have been training for the run part since January, so I told myself that I HAD to get a good time! I blew through the run and crossed the FINISH LINE!!! It is such an awesome feeling to cross that line and hear the beeping of the timing chip computer! I got my medal and some water then went on a search for Davey. 





Davey was no where to be found. I finally decided to head back to the transition area to load up my gear and then wait for Lanna and Courtney. When I got to the transition entrance I saw 2 girls talking to another lady. It was Olivia and Hannah from The Biggest Loser. I stopped to meet them and they are the sweetest girls!!!! I even got a picture with them!!! :D


Their weight loss journey is so inspirational! <3


Finally I called the hubs to find out that he was in the motor home waiting for me to finish the run......um, that ended like 10 minutes ago!!! He was shocked that I was already finished, and felt a little bad that he wasn't there to get pictures. Oh well, what can you do now? I figure, there will be professional pictures posted in the next few days, and I will just have to purchase a few (he owes me that much). 

I then met up with Lanna and Courtney for some post-race pictures.
The Sexy Tri-Girls!

After saying bye to the girls, we headed back off on the road for the trip home. 

My total time was 1 hour, 51 minutes, and 18 seconds. This is 9 minutes faster than last year!!! I owe it all to my super awesome run time of 27 minutes and 23 seconds......in comparison to last year when my run time was 38 minutes and 10 seconds!!!! Woo hoo to me!



As a little post-race snack, I made the girls and me some "Recovery Cookies" (as I call them). They came out super delicious and to be honest, I couldn't stop myself from eating so much of the dough!!! So here is the recipe for these awesome recovery cookies!!! :)

Amy's Recovery Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
I only made half a batch....

8 oz unsalted butter, softened
3 cups old-fashioned or quick oats, uncooked
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie spice)
2 very ripe bananas, mushed
1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy (that is your choice :) )
1 tsp roasted saigon cinnamon (you can use regular cinnamon, but RSC is AWESOME!)
1 cup Craisins, cherry and blueberry flavored


DIRECTIONS:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees

-Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla on medium speed until creamy

-Beat in eggs until light and fluffy

-Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until well blended

-Add in peanut butter, banana, and pumpkin on low speed until well blended

-Stir in oats

-Stir in Craisins

-Form dough into 2-inch balls and place on baking sheet or mat

-Bake 16-18 minutes until edges turn golden brown and center still appears soft

I labeled these cookies as "Recovery Cookies" since they have oats, pumpkin, peanut butter, and banana. All the good stuff you should have after a hard workout! :) Hope you enjoy these as much as I do!


And now......time for the photo challenge! You know you enjoy them! ;)

Day 17: On The Shelf


Here is my little baking section of our cupboard!!! This is all I get and I try to utilize every inch of space I can!



Day 18: In My Bag


This is inside my tri-bag.....goggles, swim cap, water, and a t-shirt!


Next Sunday is the Race For The Cure 5K at the Temecula Mall. Of course I will be running, and will be with Team Lazy Dog Cafe. I am thinking of making some cute pink cupcakes and selling them for $1.00 each. Every penny I make from selling those cupcakes would be donated to Susan G. Komen. Who would be willing to purchase a cupcake????? If you are, let me know!!!! Thanks so much!!! :)


Have a great night everyone!!!
<3 Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment