Sunday, September 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Cookies!

Sunday has arrived. The end to another weekend. I have been having a baking [and blogging] itch all week and couldn't wait to be able to bake something. I had to work on Saturday, which always puts a damper on my weekend, but hey, I gotta make that money so I can keep on baking!!!! ;) My other problem is that I didn't quite know what to make. I have been wanting to make these cookies that I came up with, but they are more of a seasonal, Christmas time cookie, and want to wait to make them when the appropriate time comes. I have also been having a mad craving for some cheesecake.....but want to wait for Thanksgiving or Christmas to make one to share with my family.

I was sitting at home, bored and dying to bake SOMETHING.......ANYTHING!!!!!! Dammit! I just wanted to bake. I almost made homemade doggy biscuits! LOL! While sitting at my computer a lightbulb went off in my head......cheesecake cookies. Do they even exist? Can that work? Hmmmmmm......so Google it I did, and sure enough, cheesecake cookies DO EXIST!!!! Yay! I went through so many recipes before landing on one of my favorite baking blogs Brown Eyed Baker. This chick is amazing and I love reading all her recipes and stories. I found a GREAT recipe for Oreo Cheesecake Cookies. I started reading the recipe and thought.....this is going to be my baking project for today! Well, sadly enough, though, I don't keep Oreos around the house because I will devour them all......and I can't be doing that (I would gain all the weight back that I have lost!!!! That would NOT be a good thing.). I knew what I had in my pantry and decided to improvise on some of the ingredients to make my own cookie!!! :D The even sadder thing is, the recipe calls for mini chocolate chips. I do NOT have mini chocolate chips in my pantry. Ok, so that's not so sad, but everyone has normal sized chocolate chips in their pantry....especially if they're a baker, right???? NOT this baker.......hahahaha! I have every other type of "chip" out there though......butterscotch, white chocolate, peanut butter, mint, even cinnamon, but NOT a single chocolate chip can be found in my pantry! Now THAT is sad! :( With that being said, you should know which chips I used for this recipe.....and boy was it a good choice!

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Cookies
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup unsalted butter; at room temperature
3 oz cream cheese; at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar (I used baker's sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour; sifted
1/2 cup peanut butter flavored chips
1 cup honey graham cracker crumbs (place graham crackers in a sealable plastic baggy and use something to crush it with.....or use a food processor. I really liked crushing them by hand....get some frustration out! LOL!)


DIRECTIONS:
(from Brown Eyed Baker's Oreo Cheesecake Cookie recipe)
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Place parchment paper on cookie sheet(s)
-In a mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl, since I use mine for everything) cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and well-combined


-Add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix until the ingredients are well-combined
I always love the smell of vanilla extract and it always tempts me into licking the measuring spoon after pouring it into my mixture....and EVERY TIME it disappoints me since it tastes like cough syrup....every time! :(
-Add the flour and mix on low until the flour is incorporated
-Stir in the peanut butter chips with a rubber spatula

-Place the graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl.
-Scoop the cookies into small balls and then roll them around in the crumbs until well coated (the batter is very soft and gooey. Your hands will get messy, but that makes for a yummy clean up! ;) )
-Place cookie balls on the baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the tops are slightly puffed

     ***I made 2 batches, the first one I baked for 12 minutes and felt they needed longer and being a dumb dumb, I just added 2 1/2 more minutes. They were over cooked and the bottoms were browned. They were also hard, crunchy, and jaw-tiring chewy. The second batch I baked for 12 minutes, checked on them, and then put them in for 1 more minute. I think 13 minutes was the perfect time for these babies, but all ovens differ, so check after 12 minutes and add time in 1 minute increments if 12 minutes isn't long enough.
-Cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.
Batch #1
A little too over done

Batch #2
Just right!!! :)

I hope you all had a great weekend!!! Beside working, I did hang out with my dear friend, Casey. We had a dinner date with my very handsome son, Billy!!! We took him for his first trip to Lazy Dog Cafe. I was going to wait until his birthday to take him here, but decided that he has been such a good boy and deserved to go. I ordered him a burger patty and some water and he just hung out and chilled with Casey and me while we ate our dinner!
My Billy!!! <3
Casey and I had a great time and had to take some pix of ourselves as well.....
Casers!!!

Me holding Billy's burger patty!!!!

Casers and Amers....or Caseamy!!!!! Besties!

Since we are on a positive kick today, Davey and I did our good deed by picking a good friend up from a bar whom had had just a little too much to drink. We had to drive all the way across town and back across town to his house, and even drove his truck back to his house for him so that he wouldn't drive drunk. I hope you all can be there for someone if they need you. Please, do NOT let friends drive drunk!!! :)

Well guys, dinner is in the oven (made a meatloaf) and it should be done soon.....at least I hope since it is 8:20pm and I am hungry and also ready for bed! LOL!!! Yes, I am a total grandma, but proud of it!!!! ;)
Have to get up early for my morning run!!!! Have a wonderful evening and a great week!!!!

<3 much
Amy




PS: Davey LOVED my meatloaf! He even went back for seconds.....and that NEVER happens!!! :D Yessssssss!!!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment