Friday, August 24, 2012

Be Aware!

The other day I was chatting with my father-in-law on the phone. He has been going to the gym and using different cardio machines and swimming in attempts to lose some weight.

I am very proud of him, and my mother-in-law, for getting out there and trying to live healthier lives. I know it is no easy task to lose weight, and with both of them in their mid-60's, they have a rough road ahead of them. Anything is possible, though, and I know that if they stick with it, the weight will banish!!!!

While talking with the FIL, he mentioned how he burned sooooooooo many calories on the elliptical machine at the gym. I asked him how he knew how many calories he burned and he told me that the machine "shows how many calories you burn during that workout".

Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had to break it to him......

THE MACHINE LIES!!!!

He was quite upset with me for telling him this (lol) but I had to be honest with him. No sense in him living a lie at the gym! I told him the most accurate way to calculate "calories burned" is by getting a heart rate monitor! I love my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor and advised that he get some sort of HRM if he really wants to lose weight. He could even use it when he swims!!! How awesome is that?

Well, the other day I was working out and did a 45 minute run on the treadmill. At the end of my workout I looked down to see how many calories it says I burned......then I looked at my heart rate monitor.....

The difference was astonishing!!! I knew the machine lies, and I knew it lied by quite a bit......but seeing it "for reals" was just awful.....


That is a difference of 286.6 calories!!!!!!!!!!! Over the course of a week, that is almost 1,500 calories you would have thought you burned, but didn't!!!!!

Don't be fooled by the machine! Get yourself a heart rate monitor for the most accurate calculations....that is, unless you like to lie to yourself and want to be let down!!!!!

BE AWARE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment