Monday, August 20, 2012

Veggie Enchiladas!!!

I love enchiladas!

So does the hubby!!!

They also make for a great freezer meal that I can pull out for a quick dinner when I have nothing else planned or don't have a lot of time.

The other day I decided to make the hubby some enchiladas for dinner......

I knew that if I made him some and watched him eat them, I would want them as well. Not wanting to eat them, I thought of a way to make some healthier ones for me to eat!!! :D Always gotta be thinking!!! ;)

Here is what I came up with!!!

Veggie Enchiladas
(adapted by ME!!!)

Veggie enchiladas with a side of brussels sprouts topped with Nutritional Yeast and Sriracha!!!

INGREDIENTS:

  • Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas (I used the extra thin ones......2 tortillas for 80 calories)
  • Mixed veggies of your choice (I used spinach, zucchini, squash, carrots, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts); chopped
  • ~1/8 cup Feta cheese
  • 2 pinches of sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
  • Enchilada sauce
  • Olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat olive oil in a small skillet until hot
  2. Chop all veggies and the garlic and sautee until they are no longer crisp
  3. Remove from skillet and place in a bowl
  4. Add a little more olive oil to the skillet and allow to become hot again
  5. Place 1 tortilla in oil and let "fry" for 5 seconds, then flip and allow to "fry" again for 5 more seconds
  6. Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels to "blot" the tortillas
  7. Repeat for as many enchiladas you want to make
  8. Once all your tortillas are "fried", start to assemble the enchiladas
  9. Place one tortilla on a plate. Scoop in some veggies and top with some Feta cheese
  10. Roll tortilla up and place in casserole dish or individual containers if you are planning on freezing them
  11. Once all the enchiladas are made, top with the cheddar cheese and enchilada sauce (omit the sauce if freezing and then put sauce on right before heating and serving)
  12. I make mine in the microwave, so heat for 2:30-3 minutes on high and then allow to cool a bit before eating!

These came out so yummy!!!! I also chopped up a Kraft JalapeƱo mozzarella stick and placed that on top of the enchiladas before the sauce was added! Yum!!!!! 

Just remember, the olive oil is a good, healthy fat, so don't be afraid to use a little. No need to go overboard with it, but it is OK to use it for cooking!!!

Hope you enjoy them!!!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment