Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rough Weekend.....

Oh man, where do I begin.....

Well I will start off with telling you that this is going to be a long post, and it will get sad. If you don't want to read it I will understand.

This weekend was a rough one. My best friend came down to attend a memorial service for a guy that we went to high school with. I knew of him, but never got the chance to know him personally. I accompanied her to the service for support. Funerals are never easy, and it was a tear fest the entire time. His name was Eric Williams and he was a medic for the Army. He died days before returning home. Eric threw himself on a live grenade to take the impact of the explosion to save the others that were with him in their safety tent. He was only 27 years old. You can read about his memorial here, and a little about what happened here.

After the service, my friend (Deliesse) and I parted ways and I was headed to a lunch date with my friend Fatn and some of her friends. We ate at an olde world style family tavern near my house, Barley & Hops. There was only one thing on the menu that was "healthy" enough for me to eat. Yes, ONLY ONE!!!! It was the "un-salad". Pretty much it was a plate with cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, olives, tomatoes, feta cheese, and mozzarella cheese. I asked for the cheeses and dressing on the side and no tomatoes or olives. I sprinkled some pepper on it and poured some malt vinegar on as well. I put some of the cheese on and dug in. It was really good.....but for $10, I could have made it at home for way less!!!!

Once lunch was over, we all had things to go do, so we all parted. I headed to the store to pick up some peaches for some cupcakes I was planning to make for my new neighbors' housewarming party. After getting my peaches, I came home and started baking away! I made peach cupcakes with a cinnamon-peach frosting. Yummy!!!! I got to puree some peaches which was fun! ;)


I didn't realize it until after I got home that I had bought white peaches. I don't think it made much of a difference though. For all of you wanting the recipe for these summery cupcakes, here you go!!!!

Peach Pie Cupcakes
(adapted by Cathlin Cooks)






INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup fresh peach puree
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 TBSP vinegar

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a bowl
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the puree, oil, and water, and vanilla
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk together until combined
  5. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar. You will notice some foaming, but that is just from the vinegar reacting with with baking soda
  6. You can add in some food coloring if you would like to make it look more "peachy".....I didn't do that
  7. Pour the batter into your lined muffin tin and bake for 12-18 minutes. Mine only took about 13 minutes
  8. Let cool for 10 minutes and then prepare your frosting
FROSTING:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup peach puree
  • vanilla, to taste
  • cinnamon to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Whip the butter until light and fluffy
  2. Slowly add the sugar and beat until combined
  3. Add the peach puree and vanilla and beat again until smooth
  4. You can then add food coloring to the frosting as well. If the frosting is too "runny", keep adding more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached
  5. Frost your cooled cupcakes!!!!
I hope you enjoy them.

The housewarming party didn't start until around 5:30pm, so I cleaned up my kitchen and stuck the cakes in the fridge to allow the frosting to harden a bit since it was melting in our SoCal heat!!!!! I eventually headed over around 6:15 and was introduced to so many new people. 

I was way out of my comfort zone. I normally don't like meeting a whole slew of new people when I am alone, but everyone was very welcoming and I felt like I was a part of the crowd shortly after arriving! :) I spent a few hours there, met some awesome people, and then headed home (which is right next door) around 11pm. 

Billy was snoozing inside on the bed in the bedroom and Scrappy and Zoey were out back. I opened the slider to the backyard and Scrappy came immediately running in....Zoey did not. I waited a few minutes and she still didn't come running in, which was really weird. I figured she had just hopped the back fence like normal and was out running around in the ravine behind our house. After a few minutes I turned on the light in the backyard in hopes that she might see it and know I am home and come running back.......but still no Zoey. 

Dave is out of town and so I texted him telling him that she still wasn't home. He told me not to worry about her and that she will eventually come back...... 







Famous last words......








Around 11:30 my phone rang. It was a number I didn't know, but I answered since I figured who the hell would be calling me at 11:30 at night??? 

It was the emergency vet......

Zoey had been hit by a car and didn't make it. I was told that a "good samaritan" had found her and brought her in, but that she was already gone when they received her. 

My heart sunk. I immediately called Dave and told him what had just happened. He told me that he would take care of everything when he got home on Monday.

First a funeral, then my dog dies.....

FUCK......

My weekend just went to shit......

I have been so down today.....but in memory of my sweet do-do dog, Zoey:




My friend, Lori, Instagramed this picture for me! <3 Love her!


Zoey was still just a puppy, full of energy......just wanting to run around and enjoy life. I just hope we gave her a happy life while she was here! <3 I just pray that it was an instant death for her and there was no suffering. I feel awful for being out, having a good time, while she lay in the street, helpless, all alone. 

Zoey, I hope you know how much we loved you and how much you touched our lives and the joy you brought to our family! We love you!

In memory of our sweet Zoey
February 10, 2011-August 4, 2012

Rest In Peace Do-Do

No comments:

Post a Comment